Wednesday, March 14, 2012

cranberry orange oatmeal bars

We've been going through cold cereal like it's going out of style. Levi especially would eat two full bowls every morning if we let him. And I've found that cereal is much more expensive out here than it was in Minnesota. Add to that the skyrocketing price of milk, and breakfasts were getting pretty spendy for us.

The problem? Cold cereal is so much easier than making other things for breakfast.

The solution? I've been  making things ahead and keeping them in the freezer. Yesterday I made a giant batch of banana pancakes. This morning I took out enough for the kids and I to eat, popped them in the microwave for 30 seconds, sliced a banana to have with them, and breakfast was ready! Last weekend I also put together a few jars of instant oatmeal, which the kids really love.

Today I got even more adventurous. After looking up recipes for oatmeal bars, I came up with my own recipe for cranberry orange oatmeal bars. Mmmmmm. They turned out great so I wanted to share the recipe here:

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Grease an 8x8 inch pan (I did 1.5 the recipe and used a rectangular dish)
  3. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
  4. Put the mixture in your pan and spread evenly, pressing it into the corners.
  5. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
  6. Remove from oven and cut into squares (when still hot).
  7. When cool, remove from the pan.
The Result:


Delicious soft oatmeal bars!
post signature

0 comments: