Wednesday, February 17, 2010

yes, that was my child

In case you happened to be at our church tonight for the Ash Wednesday dinner and service, yes, that was my child who...

  • ate an entire piece of cake.
  • picked up salt and pepper shakers off the tables and shook them the entire way to the kitchen counter as she "helped" put them away.
  • was so enthusiastic about holding her friend Lyla's (a new walker) hand that she accidentally dragged her to the ground several times.
  • went back and forth from baby Freddie to baby Kyle, rocking them in their carseats and kissing their feet and hands.
  • was brought into the church service by her parents at the time she's usually being tucked into bed.
  • announced during the service several times that her diaper was poopy, even though it wasn't.
  • looked on with horror as her mommy recieved ashes on her forehead.
  • completely freaked out when the pastor attempted to impose ashes on her own forehead.
  • cried, "Noooooo! Nooooo! Nooooo" in reaction to the ashes as her mother recieved holy communion and walked calmly up the aisle and out of the sanctuary.
  • buried her face in her mommy's shoulder, sobbing.
  • looked up occasionally, only to again see the ashes on mommy's forehead and start crying again.
  • wouldn't even watch as mommy went to the bathroom and washed the ashes off.
  • begged to go home.
  • commanded her daddy to wash the ashes "off" the moment she saw him.
  • looked in horror after the servce at everyone who had ashes on their foreheads.
  • breathed a sigh of relief when we got in the car.
  • went to bed without so much as a peep.
It's going to be a long night, I'm sure. It always is when she's been up way past her bedtime. But at least I can plan ahead, and know I'll likely end up sleeping with her most of the night. I don't mind.


post signature

1 comments:

Magi said...

Oh, I am laughing so hard right now! It's good that I am alone in my apt and not at an internet cafe, because people might stare :) I guess she isn't quite past the "things on people's skin" phobia! Ashes warrant a little more freak-out than stickers though, I would say...